Friday 25 January 2013

Illamasqua White Christmas Campaign - Selfridges Promotion


It's been a while since I've posted and Christmas is but a distant memory, however I feel that I should share the experience that I had on 8th December 2012.

It all started in November with a tweet from one of the girls who work for Illamasqua.

The tweet was calling out for two 'model-esque' girls who could ice skate to get in contact with her to be involved in an exciting event. (By this point in time I had only just taken up ice skating as a hobby and my skill level could be described as nothing more than 'novice' at best)

My curiosity about the 'exciting event' led me to bravely respond offering myself as one of the two participants.

I was then given more information about the event, it was a promotion for the Selfridges Illamasqua counter in the Trafford Centre, Manchester. I would be skating around in full costume and make-up, handing out candy canes and promoting the brand.

Of course I jumped at the chance of being involved, and decided that I had better start practicing my ice skating skills ASAP!

The day came, and it was met with nervous anticipation. All I knew was that they intended to re-create the imagery used in the Christmas campaign for the brand (see top of post) which had a strong emphasis on statement lip colour, set against a contrasting backdrop of either black or white.

The night before I had painted my nails with Illamasqua's glittery red nail varnish, 'Untold', in the hope that I would be chosen as the red/white girl as this was the most festive image in my opinion, and my personal favourite.


Arriving at the Selfridges Illamasqua counter, I met the lovely team and was told that today the make-up artist would be doing something a bit 'avant garde' with my makeover. I couldn't wait!

To my delight, I was chosen to be the red/white girl and the makeover began.

Selfridges was very busy on this particular Saturday afternoon and a lot of people were walking around the store. When they passed me being made-up at the Illamasqua counter, their eyes would stay fixed on me. There were plenty of double-takes occurring I can tell you that.

Judging from the reactions upon the sight of my face, this would really be something special, I was dying to take a look and see what all the fuss was about.

The finishing touches were applied (these included a very elaborate pair of diamanté encrusted false eyelashes and loose gems dotted around my face) I was almost ready to go on the ice rink.

My first look in the mirror made me gasp, I had never seen make-up done in this way before, it certainly was 'avant garde' compared to what I was used to.

I was then shown to the changing rooms to put on my costume. Almost an exact replica of the outfit worn by the model in the Christmas campaign imagery. A white top hat, suit jacket, bow tie, top and tights.



Safe to say that I got a few bemused looks wandering around Selfridges in this out-of-the-ordinary get-up. One woman even let out a surprised shriek as I walked by. I smiled, knowing that my striking appearance had stirred such a reaction.

The rest of the day passed by in quite a blur, I handed out all of the candy canes to the public and enjoyed seeing the different responses to my appearance.



When the time came to go home I was disappointed to have to hand back my costume and leave Selfridges, but at least I could still be a walking work of art for as long as I had my make-up on.

I left my make-up on all the way home, and even considered going out somewhere just to show it off even more, but the day had got the better of me and I was too tired. Regretfully I removed my make-up, eyelashes and gems, but still had the memories of a really fun and exciting day.

I thoroughly enjoyed being the face of Illamasqua for a day and well and truly 'standing out from the crowd' with my elaborate make-up and costume.



Individuality and self-expression are some of the things that Illamasqua strive to promote, and this is why they are my favourite beauty brand. During my day as an Illamasqua girl, I didn't shy away from the attention that my appearance received, instead I was content with the knowledge that no one else in the Trafford Centre that day looked like me, an achievement that I was very proud of.


Victoria.x

No comments:

Post a Comment